SubjectRe: Raise initial congestion window size / speedup slow start?
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, my network connection looks like 500Kbits with a round trip
> latency of perhaps 1s+ (it's a satellite link).

Last time I dealt with such stuff (hundreds of VSATs across the whole
country, arriving at a Satellite Base Station), you absolutely had to use
protocol enhancement proxies in the SBS AND in the VSAT clients to get good
performance for typical end-user Internet usage. This was a few years ago,
but it probably hasn't changed much. I don't recall what proprietary stuff
was used for the proxy, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_Enhancing_Proxy
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pepsal/

A Google search for pepsal will return a link to a PDF explaining the
design. Maybe that could be of some help for you?

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2010-07-16 05:01    [W:1.636 / U:0.588 seconds]