SubjectRe: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE
On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 22:08 +0200, Harald Gustafsson wrote:
> > That is a very delicate point, the whole reason SCHED_FIFO and friends
> > suck so much is that they don't provide any kind of isolation, and thus,
> > as an Operating-System abstraction they're an utter failure.
> >
> > If you take out admission control you end up with a similar situation.
>
> OK, I see your point, and I also want to keep the isolation, its just
> that I thought that the complexity might be too large to be accepted
> by mainline. Let's work towards a solution with good admission
> control, i.e. having more complex admission control to handle this.

Indeed. I think things might be done step by step, relaxing the
constraints as long as we find better solutions.

> > Embedded people can of course easily hack in whatever they well fancy,
> > and adding the 'yes_I_really_want_this_anyway' flag or even taking out
> > admission control all together is something the GPL allows them to do.
>
> Not an option I would like to pursue, it should be possible to get a
> working solution without this.

Yeah, I see your point and agree with it. Btw, I think that, even in the
configuration described by Peter, if you --as an embedded system
engineer-- have the full control of your device/product, you can avoid
having any hard-rt task. Then, if you only have soft ones, you'll get
the benefit of having the possibility of setting D!=P without suffering
of any interference... Am I right?

I think this could be a viable solution, at least until we have
something better to relax assumptions on the schedulability test for
hard tasks, isn't it?

Regards,
Dario
Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)

http://blog.linux.it/raistlin / raistlin@ekiga.net /
dario.faggioli@jabber.org

  Last update: 2010-07-10 23:55    [W:0.079 / U:0.116 seconds]