    SubjectRe: [patch 00/52] vfs scalability patches updated
    Date
    Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> writes:

    > I'm not denying it that we need to do work here - I'm questioning
    > the "change everything at once" approach this patch set takes.
    > You've started from the assumption that everything the dcache_lock
    > and inode_lock protect are a problem and goes from there.

    Global code locks in a core subsystem are definitely a problem.

    In many ways they're as bad a a BKL. There will be always
    workloads where they hurt. They are bad coding style.
    They just have to go.

    I don't understand how anyone can even defend them.

    Especially bad are code locks that protect lots of different
    things. Those are not only bad for scalability, but also
    bad for maintainability, because few people can really
    understand them even. With smaller well defined locks
    that's usually easier.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2010-07-01 19:39    [W:3.993 / U:1.848 seconds]