SubjectRe: Windows side agrees that lowmem corruption is a problem too
Date
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 21:08:48 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> > On 06/08/2010 11:28 AM, Yuhong Bao wrote:
> > > Adding mingo and gregkh to CC list.

> > Hardly "way too broad". I'm starting to think we should enable it
> > unconditionally, given the number of machines which have exhibited that
> > problem. As shown in the whitepaper, Vista/Win7 even avoid using
> > < 1 MB for a lot of things, presumably for this reason.
> >
> > If it only was suspend, it would be one thing, but from what I've seen
> > it has been known to happen at other times too (e.g. HDMI cable
> > insertion!)
>
> Yep, patterns of some silly OSD bitmap showed up in one of the corruption -
> firmware displaying a 'you inserted a cable' kind of icon somewhere and
> messing up the SMM code or so ...
>
> I agree that dis-using <1M by default is probably the sanest option.

But please limit it to newer systems only (DMI present && year > 200?). There
are many old machines running fine. Losing 1MB from 16MB is a bad thing.

--
Ondrej Zary

  Last update: 2010-06-08 21:25    [W:0.051 / U:1.448 seconds]