SubjectRe: [linux-pm] suspend blockers & Android integration
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:05:56 -0700
Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@android.com> wrote:
Hi,

> If you read an event that occurred after you blocked the task
> freezing, then tasks will never get frozen again (until more events
> occur). I think my original description was less confusing, but it
> seems you got completely distracted by my use of block and unblock
> suspend when referring to the user space api.

Here is how I understood Alan's approach:

Userspace manager (UM) does:

<...continuation of function A>
5) unblock from reading a wakeup from wakeupevents-fd
6) thaw userspace
7) return
</function A>

[userspace sees there is an event; blocks suspend at UM; processes
event; consume wakeupevent at UM; unblock suspend at UM;]

Unblocking the last suspend-blocker at the UM starts function A:

<function A>
1) non-blocking read of wakeup-events-fd (refills wakeupevents)
2) if all wakeupevents are consumed:
3a) freeze userspace
else
3b) /* wait for userspace to unblock
suspend again... this should take care of the races? */ return;
4) blocking read of wakeupevents-fd
<...for continuation see above>

You mitigate the race by freezing and unfreezing userspace. If there
occur wakeups between 3a) and 4) you will have frozen userspace in
vain.

So I think the feasibility of this solution depends on the performance
of freezing/thawing userspace. I can't judge that.

Also I _think_ this is racefree as long as you have the UM properly
serialized. Or did I overlook something?

Cheers,
Flo