    SubjectRe: suspend blockers & Android integration
    From
    2010/6/6 Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:26:14 -0700
    > Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@android.com> wrote:
    >> > the kernel has a set of infrastructure already to help here (range
    >> > timers, with which you can wakeup-limit untrusted userspace crap),
    >> > timer slack for legacy background timers, etc etc.
    >>
    >> Range timers allows the kernel to align different timers so they don't
    >> each bring the cpu out of idle individually. They do not eliminate
    >> timers or make individual timers fire less often.
    >
    > you're incorrect.
    > With range timers you can control the rate at which timers fire just
    > fine.

    I was wondering... Currently GLib user-space aligns itself to fire
    burst of work at second boundaries without the need for IPC. But if
    you want to align beyond one second you need multi-process alignment.
    Say, one application says: wake me up between 30s and 1m. And the
    other one says: wake me up between 10m and 20m. They could very well
    align at some point if there was a central process keeping track of
    all the timers.

    Does the kernel provide something to solve that problem already?

    --
    Felipe Contreras