SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: Proposal for a new algorithm for reading & writing a hibernation image.
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 15:57 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> > > It isn't in fact.

> > > You don't have to save the _whole_ memory to get the same speed (you don't
> > > do that anyway, but the amount of data you don't put into the image with
> > > TuxOnIce is smaller). Something like 80% would be just sufficient IMO and
> > > then (a) the level of complications involved would drop significantly and (2)
> > > you'd be able to use the image-reading code already in the kernel without
> > > any modifications. It really looks like a win-win to me, doesn't it?
> >

> > Well, in fact on modern systems its not possible to save 100% of ram
> > even if we save it all because of video memory.
> > Look I got 256MB of video ram, and when compiz is used I say most of it
> > is used, and its isn't going to be magically preserved during suspend.
> > So system still has to free about 256MB of memory before suspend (which
> > means around 80% percent of ram is saved in best case :-) )
>
> So how TuxOnIce helps here?
Very simple.

With swsusp, I can save 750MB (memory) + 250 Vram (vram)
With full memory save I can save (1750 MB of memory) + 250 MB of
vram....

Of course save of vram sure can be made non atomic....

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

  Last update: 2010-06-06 17:57    [W:1.077 / U:0.048 seconds]