SubjectRe: suspend blockers & Android integration
Date
On Saturday 05 June 2010, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> 2010/6/4 Matt Helsley <matthltc@us.ibm.com>:
> >
> > <snip>

> >> Yes this would be better, but I want it in addition to suspend, not
> >> instead of it. It is also unclear if our user-space code could easily
> >> make use of it since our trusted code calls into untrusted code.
> >>

> > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but suspend and the cgroup freezer
> > interoperate well today -- you don't have to choose one or the other.
> > If you've discovered otherwise I'd consider it a bug and would like to
> > hear more about it.
> >

> I'm not aware of any bug with combining both, but we cannot use
> suspend at all without suspend blockers in the kernel (since wakeup
> events may be ignored)

The more I think of it, the more it appears to me that the problem of
lost wakeup events can actually be solved without suspend blockers.
I'll send a bunch of patches to address this issue, probably tomorrow.

> and I don't know how we can safely freeze
> cgroups without funneling all potential wakeup events through a
> process that never gets frozen.

If your untrusted apps get called by the trusted ones, they aren't really
untrusted in the first place.

From what you're saying it follows that you're not really willing to accept
any solution different to your suspend blockers. Is that really the case?

Rafael