    SubjectRe: [patch 1/4] fs: cleanup files_lock
    On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:43:08PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Lock tty_files with a new spinlock, tty_files_lock; provide helpers to
    > manipulate the per-sb files list; unexport the files_lock spinlock.

    I'm still not entirely happy with this. You keep making the tty a
    special case by removing it from the files per-sb files list while
    nothing else in the system is removed from it.

    Thinks would be much better if you could untangle the tty code from
    abuse of file->f_u.fu_list entirely. And from a naive look at the
    tty code that actually seems pretty easy. file->private for ttys
    currently directly points to the tty struct. If you add a tty_private
    there which points back to the file, the tty and contains a list_head
    the open files in tty code tracking code can be completely divorced
    from the per-sb file tracking. After that we can decide what to do
    with the per-sb file tracking, where my favourite still is to get
    rid of it entirely.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-04 10:41    [W:0.019 / U:26.664 seconds]