    SubjectRe: [patch 38/52] fs: icache RCU free inodes
    On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:57:11PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 01:02:50PM +1000, npiggin@suse.de wrote:
    > > RCU free the struct inode. This will allow:
    >
    > Rather than what it will allow, what are the constraints this
    > imposes on allocating and freeing a struct inode? e.g. XFS embeds
    > the struct inode in a larger inode structure and does it's own
    > allocation, caching and freeing of the larger structure outside of
    > the VFS functionality.
    >
    > Does this need to be converted to RCU? Do we need to do more
    > initialisation of the struct inode than we currently do? What
    > functions/call chains now implicitly require RCU freeing semantics
    > on the struct inode for safe operation? What else do we need to be
    > aware of?

    Yeah, filesystems with their own freeing functions will need to
    do a call_rcu to free it (many are not converted). Otherwise,
    there is nothing else to know. They could take advantage of RCU
    if they would like though.

      Last update: 2010-06-30 16:35    [W:0.024 / U:90.848 seconds]