    SubjectRe: floppy driver assumes INITIAL_JIFFIES == 0

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

    > It seems it isn't related to initial jiffies.
    > Initializing the values (though a good idea), doesn't solve the
    > problem. Still failed. So dazed and confused, went back and reran
    > kernel with jiffies=0 showed same problem, just took multiple boots
    > to reproduce.

    Ahh, ok. That really ends up limiting us. At least having a "it's related
    to jiffy wraparound" was a big clue.

    > So still a race that shows up with KVM (fast floppy?) and manifests
    > as floppy_ready or reset_interrupt OOPS.

    Yes, it's quite possible that the Linux floppy driver is simply broken by
    any floppy device that basically responds immediately to a command with an
    interrupt. And considering how few people use floppies, I do expect that
    driver to get _worse_ rather than better in the future.

    Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it could be fixed. I'm just not sure that
    anybody is going to spend the effort.

    I'd love to be proven wrong. Anybody?

    Linus

      Last update: 2010-06-04 00:05    [W:0.031 / U:0.544 seconds]