SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files
* Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> [100603 21:07]:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:46:23PM +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > Compiling in multiple ARM platforms is trickier, we would have to get
> > rid of the duplicate defines like NR_IRQS, then have some common clock
> > framework etc. Then figure out some way to get rid of Makefile.boot.
> > Russell probably has some other things in mind that would have to be
> > changed to make this happen.
>
> - Find someway to handle the wide variety of interrupt controllers.
> - Be able to handle any multitude of V:P translations, including non-linear
> alongside linear transations.
> - Different PAGE_OFFSETs
> - Different kernel VM layouts allowing for a variety of different ioremap
> region sizes

Some of these could be handled by allowing building a seprate instance
for each platform compiled in. Maybe we could set them up with symlinks.

How about a minimal generic relocatable ARM kernel and then we load the
platform support as a module from ramdisk? :)

> and so the list goes on...

Yeah..

> > That way maybe you can wait a bit longer for the other defconfigs
> > and as an extra bonus I won't get flamed for removing these omap
> > defconfigs ;)
>
> Note that Linus is talking about removing all but one or two ARM
> defconfigs - which means your omap3_defconfig will probably be
> eventually culled.

Yes but I also think we need to do something about this.

Regards,

Tony

  Last update: 2010-06-03 23:37    [W:0.134 / U:0.300 seconds]