SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I apparently haven't explained myself enough, because what you keep on
> harping on is not something I consider acceptable.
>
> STD_CONFIG is pointless. It's pointless because the solution to what
> you call STD_CONFIG would be to just NOT USING the special Kconfig.xyz
> file at all.

To make this _really_ concrete, let me actually give you an example (but
broken and pointless) example Kconfig file, in order to _avoid_ having a
def_config file.

I do it by generating it. Let's say that I want a x86 configuration that
has USB enabled. I can basically _ask_ the Kconfig machinery to generate
that with something like this:

- create a "Mykconfig" file:

config MYCONFIG
bool
default y
select USB

source arch/x86/Kconfig

and then I just do

KBUILD_KCONFIG=Mykconfig make allnoconfig

and look what appears in the .config file. In fact, do this:

make allnoconfig
cp .config no-config
KBUILD_KCONFIG=Mykconfig make allnoconfig
cp .config my-config
diff -u no-config my-config

to see the point of it all.

Now, the above is a _trivial_ one. And it's actually broken, because I
should not have forced CONFIG_USB (it depends on CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT).

But with this approach you could basically generate the defconfig files.
And exactly because Kconfig files are already hierarchical, you can do
things like

- Kconfig.omap3_evm:

# Set the OMAP3 EVM-specific parts
config OMAP3EVM
bool
default y
select OMAP3_EVM_TIMERS # whatever

# this sets the thngs all OMAP3 cases want
source Kconfig.omap3

- Kconfig.omap3

# Set the OMAP3 specific parts
config OMAP3
bool
default y
select USB_SUPPORT
select USB

source Kconfig.arm

and now you'd be able to basically generate a OMAP3EVM .config file by
just running "allnoconfig" on that Kconfig.omap3_evm file. But it would
only have to select the parts that are specific for the EVM platform,
because the generic OMAP3 support would be picked by the Kconfig.omap3
file, which in turn would not have to worry about the generic ARM parts
etc.

See?

Linus

  Last update: 2010-06-03 22:39    [W:1.936 / U:0.136 seconds]