    SubjectRe: [RFC] oom-kill: give the dying task a higher priority
    On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

    > > And that can reduce the runtime of the thread holding a writelock on
    > > mm->mmap_sem, making the exit actually take longer than without the patch
    > > if its priority is significantly higher, especially on smaller machines.
    >
    > /me smells an inversion... on -rt we solved those ;-)

    Right, but I don't see how increasing an oom killed tasks priority to a
    divine priority doesn't impact the priorities of other tasks which may be
    blocking the exit of that task, namely a coredumper or holder of
    mm->mmap_sem. This patch also doesn't address how it negatively impacts
    the priorities of jobs running in different cpusets (although sharing the
    same cpus) because one cpuset is oom.

      Last update: 2010-06-03 22:35    [W:0.020 / U:0.444 seconds]