    SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files
    On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 19:10 +0100, Russell King wrote:

    > config STD_CONFIG
    > bool "Enable me to generate a standard configuration for your platform"
    >
    > and then have platforms conditionally select everything that's
    > appropriate for their use. That provides a way to avoid the ages old
    > issue of select forcing options on, but the user still being presented
    > with the option and being told the only possible value for it is 'y'.
    >
    > And yes, it _is_ necessary - because if you want to turn off something
    > on the platform - eg, you're not using MMC and MMC fails to build -
    > you can still end up with a working configuration at the end of the
    > day.

    Check out the SAT solver link I quoted in the prior email.. That sounds
    like a really interesting solution. The defconfigs would ultimately hold
    just what's unique to a given board, then the solver would figure out
    what to else to enable just from those unique properties.

    So we would still have defconfigs , but they would not have loads of
    duplication like they do now.

    I don't see how we can do without defconfigs altogether tho. I mean , if
    you want to run a Beagle board or a Nexus one we can't just give the
    users a slim ARM config and let them troll through 1000's of drivers
    trying to find just those ones that work on their given board.

    Daniel

      Last update: 2010-06-03 20:23    [W:2.130 / U:0.052 seconds]