    SubjectRe: RFC: Exporting NOCMTIME to userspace
    > While this might solve the performance aspect of the problem, it will
    > only migitate the reliability aspect with NANDs, since the inodes will
    > eventually be flushed anyway (thus causing irreversible wear).

    As long as you don't run out of memory it will happen very rarely.
    Completely elimintating inode writes is not a good goal imho.

    Iff you don't want inodes at all then perhaps consider using a LVM volume or similar
    instead of a file system.

    > Also, a tunable like you're suggesting would affect all files on a
    > single filesystem, instead of just a subset of files. Having an option
    > to "disable" m/ctime updates per file would be optimal in our case,
    > since we're talking about several years of runtime with the use case.
    > There are other issues with rrdtool which make this hard, but those are
    > all solvable without kernel modifications.

    Yes, but the nice thing is that the semantics are the same, so unless
    you crash you won't really notice.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2010-06-21 12:35    [W:0.021 / U:59.196 seconds]