    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] ARM MSM updates for 2.6.35-rc1
    On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 14:27 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Daniel Walker wrote:
    > >
    > > Don't forget about this one! Or was something wrong with it?
    >
    > I got a bit frustrated with ten different ARM pulls per day at one point.
    >
    > There's something wrong with ARM development. The amount of pure noise in
    > the patches is incredibly annoying. Right now, ARM is already (despite me
    > not reacting to some of the flood) 55% of all arch/ changes since 2.6.34,
    > and it's all pointless churn in
    >
    > arch/arm/configs/
    > arch/arm/mach-xyz
    > arch/arm/plat-blah
    >
    > and at a certain point in the merge window I simply could not find it in
    > me to care about it any more.
    >
    > Do you guys at all talk about this problem? Have any of the ARM people
    > bothered to look at the arch/arm diffs and see how mind-deadening they
    > are? I try to look through these kinds of things when I pull, but after a
    > million lines of pure noise, it gets old pretty quickly.

    There's room for the sub-architectures to combine stuff. I think there
    is work going on to do that (at some level).

    > Somehow, I can't believe that you need thousands of lines for each random
    > arch/arm/mach-xyz (yeah, some very few of them are smaller).

    I'm not an authority by any means, but every time there is a new device
    released (which is often) you get a new file under some mach-xyz
    directory, or some large modification to an already existing file. Plus
    a config file potentially. It's a little bit like the wild west, and
    seems way wilder than x86 every was.

    I think from the sub-architecture maintainer perspective the pain is all
    hidden behind the Linus curtain , or RMK curtain or the some other
    maintainer curtain. So we don't really talk about it that often. I
    thought you we're totally happy with the situation ..

    If you have some idea's for fixing things, I'm all ears along with my
    faithful sub-architecture maintainer brothers.

    Daniel

      Last update: 2010-06-03 00:33    [W:0.023 / U:0.428 seconds]