SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [RFC] lp_events: an lternitive to suspend blocker user mode and kernel API
From
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Gross, Mark <mark.gross@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

This depends on the hardware but if you can enable the wakeup event
before you turn the interrupt off you don't have a race (msm works
this way). On other hardware the interrupt controller is the wakeup
source so by masking the interrupt during suspend instead or turning
it off altogether you also don't have a race.

>>user-space power manager reads that there was a wakeup event, how does
>>it know if the real event has been delivered to user-space, and if the
>>user-space code that consumed this event has had a chance to block
>>suspend?
> [mtg: ] I suppose the same way the uevent.c wake_lock handling does.  (that code grabs a 5 second timeout wake lock on key events, not pretty either...)  I think the idea of getting the wake events passing through the input layer could help with this.

The 5 second timeout on keyevents are there to avoid blocking suspend
forever if someone opens an input device and don't read from it. The
suspend blocker patchset uses an ioctl to enable the suspend blocker
so it does not have this timeout. Either way, the 5 second timeout is
not how the system normally goes back to sleep after a key event. I do
think timeouts are useful so a driver can keep the system awake for a
while after passing an event to a subsystem that has not been modified
to block suspend (tty, network etc) but I don't think we should force
subsystems that can easily use overlapping constraints (like input
events) to keep the system awake for longer than needed.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg