SubjectRe: [Patch 1/1] x86 pci: Add option to not assign BAR's if not already assigned
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:47:23 +0200
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/2010 05:45 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >> I'm assuming that that Mike is implying is that the allocation code runs
> >> out of I/O space and as a result shuts down the entire device.
> >
> > Yeah, that's why I asked about a deeper problem. There's not really a
> > "shut down this device" flag, so the only way I can think of that we
> > might make a device completely unusable is if we release all the device
> > resources and then fail to reassign them.
> >
> > A concrete example, e.g., a dmesg log, would go a long ways toward
> > clarifying this.
> >

> That's what I thought, which I guess means my original question to Mike
> still stands...

I thought the whole reason for this was hotplug; we don't want to
exhaust I/O space unnecessarily by allocating resources for BARs the
BIOS didn't assign so we can keep them around for later hotplug
activity.

If there's some other issue, it's not too late to drop this patch.

Mike or Mike, can you clarify?

  Last update: 2010-06-02 17:57    [W:0.082 / U:0.356 seconds]