SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH 1/2] Add a common struct clk
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 08:52:25AM +0200, Lothar Wa?mann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Uwe Kleine-K?nig writes:
> > Hello Lothar,
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 08:39:21AM +0200, Lothar Wa?mann wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > ???
> > > All implementations so far use spin_lock_irq_save()!
> > >
> > > How would you be able to sleep with a mutex held?
> > > If you hold a lock you must not sleep, no matter what sort of lock it
> > > is.
> > That's wrong. With a mutex hold you may sleep.
> >
> OK, you're right. But still all other implementations (omap, mxc,
> davinci,...) use spin_lock_irqsave() to protect the enable/disable
> functions and don't seem to have any problem with this.
> Is there any reason to change this, or make it inconsistent
> for one arch?
>
> And arch/arm/plat-s3c/clock.c has the following comment:
> |/* We originally used an mutex here, but some contexts (see resume)
> | * are calling functions such as clk_set_parent() with IRQs disabled
> | * causing an BUG to be triggered.
> | */
> |DEFINE_SPINLOCK(clocks_lock);

It entirely depends on what you are protecting, in some cases a mutex
is good enough for finding clocks, sometimes you may well end up with
the case you need to spin.

However, none of these clock implementations really thought through
all the subtleties of how it works. The s3c gets the clock naming
wrong (will be trying to sort that out soon).

--
Ben (ben@fluff.org, http://www.fluff.org/)

'a smiley only costs 4 bytes'

  Last update: 2010-06-16 23:15    [W:0.067 / U:0.264 seconds]