    SubjectRe: Tracing configuration review
    On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 14:51 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > I'm a bit surprised by one (family) of kconfig symbols here:
    >
    > PM_TRACE=y, PM_TRACE_RTC=y
    >
    > That enables low-level kernel developer debugging code.
    >
    > Other than that, the rest make sense to me.

    We try to focus a lot on the laptop use case, and so we do a bit of work
    on suspend/resume bugs. For those unaware, these options allow one to
    save the very last PM event point inside the RTC. If a suspend dies we
    may be able to get some good information on where it died using this
    tool. The functionality has to be manually enabled at runtime, otherwise
    the RTC would get scribbled over during every resume. Since it doesn't
    have any impact in the general use case, we leave it enabled by default.
    We already build too many test kernels for other types of bugs :).

    Thanks,

    -- Chase

      Last update: 2010-06-14 04:45    [W:0.037 / U:64.512 seconds]