    SubjectRe: [Patch 1/1] x86 pci: Add option to not assign BAR's if not already assigned
    On 05/28/2010 10:10 AM, Mike Travis wrote:

    > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >> On 05/28/2010 09:53 AM, Mike Travis wrote:
    >>> Any further consideration for this patch, or has it been rejected?
    >>
    >> Well, it's really up to Jesse, but as far as I can see, this patch is a
    >> net loss of functionality and doesn't actually add anything. Without
    >> this patch, some resources that were not assigned by BIOS will be
    >> unreachable. With this patch, *all* resources that were not assigned by
    >> BIOS will be unreachable...
    >>
    >> -hpa
    >>

    > Apparently you're missing the point of the patch? The patch is needed
    > because BIOS is purposely not assigning I/O BAR's to devices that won't
    > use them, freeing up the resource for devices that do need them. Where
    > is the "all" resources that are not reachable?

    No, the patch isn't needed for those.

    Without your patch:

    - Devices assigned by BIOS remain assigned;
    - Devices not assigned by BIOS get assigned until address space
    exhausted.

    With your patch:

    - Devices assigned by BIOS remain assigned;
    - Devices not assigned by BIOS never get assigned at all.

    What am I missing here?

    -hpa

      Last update: 2010-05-28 22:07    [W:0.025 / U:0.236 seconds]