SubjectRe: [RFC] oom-kill: give the dying task a higher priority
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 12:12:49AM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
| On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:36:17AM -0300, Luis Claudio R. Goncalves wrote:

| > |
| > | Hmm. I can't understand your point.
| > | What do you mean failing distinguish memcg and system OOM?
| > |
| > | We already have been distinguish it by mem_cgroup_out_of_memory.
| > | (but we have to enable CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR).
| > | So task selected in select_bad_process is one out of memcg's tasks when
| > | memcg have a memory pressure.
| >
| > The approach of giving the highest priority to the dying task makes sense
| > in a system wide OOM situation. I though that would also be good for the
| > memcg OOM case.
| >
| > After Balbir Singh's comment, I understand that in a memcg OOM the dying
| > task should have a priority just above the priority of the main task of
| > that memcg, in order to avoid interfering in the rest of the system.
| >
| > That is the point where I failed to distinguish between memcg and system OOM.
| >
| > Should I pursue that new idea of looking for the right priority inside the
| > memcg or is it overkill? I really don't have a clear view of the impact of
| > a memcg OOM on system performance - don't know if it is better to solve the
| > issue sooner (highest RT priority) or leave it to be solved later (highest
| > prio on the memcg). I have the impression the general case points to the
| > simpler solution.
|
| I think highest RT proirity ins't good solution.
| As I mentiond, Some RT functions don't want to be preempted by other processes
| which cause memory pressure. It makes RT task broken.

For the RT case, if you reached a system OOM situation, your determinism has
already been hurt. If the memcg OOM happens on the same memcg your RT task
is - what will probably be the case most of time - again, the determinism
has deteriorated. For both these cases, giving the dying task SCHED_FIFO
MAX_RT_PRIO-1 means a faster recovery.

I don't know what is the system-wide latency effect of a memcg OOM, if any,
or if it would affect an RT task running on another memcg. That is the case
where a more careful priority selection could be necessary.

| On the other hand, normal processes don't have a requirement of RT.
| But it isn't a big problem that it lost little time slice, I think.
| So how about raising max normal priority?
| but I am not sure this is right solution.
| Let's listen other's opinion.
| I believe Peter have a good idea.

Thanks again for helping to discuss this idea.

Luis
--
[ Luis Claudio R. Goncalves Bass - Gospel - RT ]
[ Fingerprint: 4FDD B8C4 3C59 34BD 8BE9 2696 7203 D980 A448 C8F8 ]

  Last update: 2010-05-28 17:31    [W:0.089 / U:0.352 seconds]