[lkml]   [2010]   [May]   [26]   [last100]   RSS Feed

SubjectRe: [Patch 1/1] x86 efi: Fill all reserved memmap entries if add_efi_memmap specified.

Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:
    >> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >>> On 05/25/2010 03:34 PM, Mike Travis wrote:
    >>>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >>>>> On 05/13/2010 02:55 PM, Mike Travis wrote:
    >>>>>> I saw that too, and wondered why e820_saved did not
    >>>>>> have the extra entries. The comment indicates it
    >>>>>> should.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I'm on the system tonight and will investigate this
    >>>>>> further.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> e820_saved lacks the extra entries because they aren't being passed in
    >>>>> from the bootloader, as they should, and instead you're using
    >>>>> add_efi_memmap which is, as far as the kernel is concerned, a post-boot
    >>>>> modification.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That being said, add_efi_memmap does come from the firmware, and as such
    >>>>> it would be legitimate for it to add them to e820_saved.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> -hpa
    >>>> Did this last patch meet expectations?
    >>>>
    >>>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=127474230623061&w=4
    >>>>
    >>> I'm concerned about calling sanitize_e820_map() on e820_saved; it is
    >>> supposed to reflect the raw data as reported by the source, and
    >>> sanitizing it would corrupt that.
    >>>
    >>> -hpa
    >> I wondered about that. Sanitize seems to remove adjacent
    >> entries, etc. making the map smaller, but I couldn't detect
    >> any real differences (though admittedly I didn't do a byte
    >> by byte comparison.)
    >> But I'll submit another with that call removed.
    > can you use updated boot loader instead?
    > Also we should drop add_efi_memmap if possible.
    > YH

I'm open for suggestions on how to improve this, but we are shipping
    systems very soon and I don't think we'll get any other change into
    the system until the next update.

Thanks,