SubjectRe: [patch] pipe: add support for shrinking and growing pipes
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

>> I really think "power of 2 in pages" is simply current implementation
>> detail, not detail of pipe API.
>
> Completely agree, one more reason more to make that dependency exposed
> in the API.

>> > But is there much point in erroring on an incorrect size? If the
>> > application says "I need at least 120kb of space in there", kernel
>> > returns "OK, you got 128kb". Would returning -1/EINVAL for that case
>> > really make a better API? Doesn't seem like it to me.
>>
>> FWIW, my first impression of this was setsockopt(SO_RCV/SNDBUF) of unix
>> socket. Well, API itself wouldn't say "at least this size" or "exactly
>> this size", so, in here, important thing is consistency of interfaces, I
>> think. (And the both is sane API at least for me if those had
>> consistency in the system.)
>>
>> Well, so how about set/get in bytes, and kernel will set "at least
>> specified size" actually like setsockopt(SO_RCV/SNDBUF)?
>
> Isn't that pretty much what I described?

Actually, SO_*BUF is pretty weird. It returns double what was
supplied. It's not simply a matter of rounding up: it always doubles
what was supplied.

--
Michael Kerrisk
Author of "The Linux Programming Interface" http://blog.man7.org/