    SubjectRe: [RFC] new ->perform_write fop
    On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:50:54AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
    > > As I said, we can have a dumb fallback path for filesystems that
    > > don't implement hole punching. Clear the blocks past i size, and
    > > zero out the allocated but not initialized blocks.
    > >
    > > There does not have to be pagecache allocated in order to do this,
    > > you could do direct IO from the zero page in order to do it.
    > I don't see that as a good solution - it's once again a fairly
    > complex way of dealing with the problem, especially as it now means
    > that direct io would fall back to buffered which would fall back to
    > direct IO....

    Well it wouldn't use the full direct IO path. It has the block, just
    build a bio with the source zero page and write it out. If the fs
    requires anything more fancy than that, tough, it should just
    implement hole punching.

    > > Hole punching is not only useful there, it is already exposed to
    > > userspace via MADV_REMOVE.
    > That interface is *totally broken*.

    > It has all the same problems as
    > vmtruncate() for removing file blocks (because it uses vmtruncate).
    > It also has the fundamental problem of being called un the mmap_sem,
    > which means that inode locks and therefore de-allocation cannot be
    > executed without the possibility of deadlocks.

    None of that is an API problem, it's all implementation. Yes fadivse
    would be a much better API, but the madvise API is still there.
    Implementation wise: it does not use vmtruncate; it has no mmap_sem

    > Fundamentally, hole
    > punching is an inode operation, not a VM operation....

    VM acts as a handle to inode operations. It's no big deal.

    > > An API that doesn't require that, though, should be less overhead
    > > and simpler.
    > >
    > > Is it really going to be a problem to implement block hole punching
    > > in ext4 and gfs2?
    > I can't follow the ext4 code - it's an intricate maze of weird entry
    > and exit points, so I'm not even going to attempt to comment on it.
    > The gfs2 code is easier to follow and it looks like it would require
    > a redesign and rewrite of the block truncation implementation as it
    > appears to assume that blocks are only ever removed from the end of
    > the file - I don't think the recursive algorithms for trimming the
    > indirect block trees can be easily modified for punching out
    > arbitrary ranges of blocks easily. I could be wrong, though, as I'm
    > not a gfs2 expert....

    I'm far more in favour of doing the interfaces right, and making
    the filesystems fix themselves to use it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-05-20 08:51    [W:0.023 / U:14.188 seconds]