    SubjectRE: Hardware Error Kernel Mini-Summit
    > It makes sense to use the kernel's performance events
    > logging framework when we are logging events about how the
    > system performs.

    Perhaps it makes more sense to say that the Linux "performance
    events logging framework" has become more generic and is really
    now an "event logging framework".

    > Furthermore it's NMI safe, offers structured logging, has
    > various streaming, multiplexing and filtering capabilities
    > that come handy for RAS purposes and more.

    Those of us present at the mini-summit were not familiar with
    all the features available. One area of concern was how to be
    sure that something is in fact listening to and logging the
    error events. My understanding is that if there is no process
    attached to an event, the kernel will just drop it. This is
    of particular concern because the kernel's first scan of the
    machine check banks occurs before there are any processes.
    So errors found early in boot (which might be saved fatal
    errors from before the boot) might be lost.

    -Tony

      Last update: 2010-05-18 21:11    [W:0.042 / U:29.592 seconds]