SubjectRE: Hardware Error Kernel Mini-Summit
> It makes sense to use the kernel's performance events
> logging framework when we are logging events about how the
> system performs.

Perhaps it makes more sense to say that the Linux "performance
events logging framework" has become more generic and is really
now an "event logging framework".

> Furthermore it's NMI safe, offers structured logging, has
> various streaming, multiplexing and filtering capabilities
> that come handy for RAS purposes and more.

Those of us present at the mini-summit were not familiar with
all the features available. One area of concern was how to be
sure that something is in fact listening to and logging the
error events. My understanding is that if there is no process
attached to an event, the kernel will just drop it. This is
of particular concern because the kernel's first scan of the
machine check banks occurs before there are any processes.
So errors found early in boot (which might be saved fatal
errors from before the boot) might be lost.

-Tony

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans