SubjectRe: Hardware Error Kernel Mini-Summit

* Joe Perches <joe@perches.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 13:44 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > IMO, the first
> > step is to provide an error core integrated to perf, and then start
> > integrating the several error systems around it.
>
> Why integrated to perf?

It makes sense to use the kernel's performance events
logging framework when we are logging events about how the
system performs.

Furthermore it's NMI safe, offers structured logging, has
various streaming, multiplexing and filtering capabilities
that come handy for RAS purposes and more.

The other option would be to use an ad-hoc logging
implementation, only used for EDAC/RAS, which couldnt be
mixed with other system events. That approach has various
obvious disadvanteges so we are aiming for a unified
approach.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2010-05-18 20:55    [W:0.072 / U:10.272 seconds]