SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] GSoC project: Improving kconfig using a SAT solver
Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@gmail.com> writes:

> I just wanted to say that I've been accepted into this year's Google
> Summer of Code program and will spend this summer working on improving
> the kconfig system in a very particular direction: I want to integrate
> a proper boolean constraint satisfiability solver into the
> configuration editors (menuconfig, etc.) in order to allow
> partial/incomplete configuration specifications. In short, this means
> that the user can choose to not specify a particular value for some
> config options, but let the system deduce their values. This will
> hopefully improve usability and also solve the select problem once and
> for all.

Nice idea. I read your proposal and it looks good.

I assume you got inspired by the libzypp use of a SAT solver
for package dependencies? One problem that is visible there
is that it can be hard to display conflicts in a nice and understandable
way to the user, especially if there are lots of dependencies.

It might be worth planning in some time to solve that nicely.

-Andi

  Last update: 2010-05-17 14:17    [W:0.614 / U:0.156 seconds]