SubjectRe: burning small isos repeatedly failing with hangcheck error
From
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom
<tfjellstrom@strangesoft.net> wrote:
>> > I do not recall having these issues with older kernels.
>>
>> Same wodim version? The commands (and ordering thereof) it is issuing
>> could have an effect on this..
>
> I can't be certain that its the same version of wodim. I have often noticed
> that it takes far longer to burn a small iso onto a DVDR than you'd
> intuitively think it would, but I've never had this timeout error happen
> prior to 2.6.33, not that that means the problem started with 2.6.33, I
> can't recall how long its been since I last had to burn a really small iso
> to a DVDR.
>
> I can try and test various versions of the kernel and wodim, if you think it
> would help.

I think different wodim versions (or try different software like
growisofs, etc) would be the most promising option. There's really not
a lot of influence the kernel has on this process, the burning
software accesses the device with SG_IO which pretty much just passes
ATAPI commands through to the drive.

I thought I saw a report recently that some version of wodim was
sending uninitialized values as the timeout for SG_IO commands, but I
can't seem to find that mail at the moment..

  Last update: 2010-05-13 04:17    [W:0.060 / U:25.568 seconds]