SubjectRe: Perf and ftrace [was Re: PyTimechart]
* Peter Zijlstra (peterz@infradead.org) wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 13:07 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > > Its mostly an interface/api question. You cannot easily splice() a
> > > mmap()'ed buffer on machines that have address constraints like sparc.
> >
> > Ah ? Can you explain this issue a bit more ? There is possibly a concern I don't
> > quite see here.
>
> IIRC Sparc has virtually tagged D-caches on the lower 9 bits of the pfn,
> so to avoid cache aliasing both mappings (kernel and user) need to be
> aligned.

I see.

> Since splice needs to swap pages it needs to allocate replacement pages
> with the exact right alignment, which is rather expensive (in either
> time or space).

Hrm ? Why does splice() _need_ to swap pages exactly ? Or is it purely just the
way the current Ftrace implementation happens to work ? ;)

Would you be fine with an alternative implementation and API that support both
mmap() and splice(), without any need to swap pages ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

  Last update: 2010-05-12 19:55    [W:0.075 / U:15.704 seconds]