SubjectRe: [linux-pm] Is it supposed to be ok to call del_gendisk while userspace is frozen?
On Tue, 11 May 2010, Matt Reimer wrote:

> >> or has a consensus about how to fix this been
> >> achieved? I'm hitting the same problem and have some time to work on a
> >> fix.
> >
> > Generally, it looks like del_gendisk should thaw writeback threads, but not
> > during suspend, only during resume.
>
> Thawing the writeback thread only during resume does fix the case
> Maxim originally presented:
>
> 0. build kernel with CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME
> 1. insert SD card
> 2. suspend
> 3. remove SD card while suspended
> 4. resume from suspend hangs
>
> But if CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME is not set, the kernel oopses during
> suspend because the MMC device suspend times out:
>
> mmc0: card e624 removed
> **** DPM device timeout: pxa2xx-mci.0 (pxa2xx-mci)
> kernel BUG at /home/mreimer/sdg/android/android-2.1/kernel/drivers/base/power/main.c:453!
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
> pgd = c0004000
> [00000000] *pgd=00000000
> Internal error: Oops: 817 [#1] PREEMPT
>
> If I thaw the writeback thread unconditionally in del_gendisk() then
> suspend and resume work as expected for both CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME
> set/not set, even when the card is removed while suspended.
>
> So what is the proper fix?

I don't see any reason not to let del_gendisk thaw the writeback thread
during suspend. Since the device is going away anyhow, letting the
thread run shouldn't cause any problems.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2010-05-12 16:53    [W:0.064 / U:11.700 seconds]