    SubjectRe: [stable] cpumask: fix compat getaffinity
    On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 08:13:55PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Tuesday 11 May 2010 17:20:02 Greg KH wrote:
    > > > AFAIK, -stable is mainly used for distro and they have many and many
    > > > packages. we can't assume no app read /sys files directly.
    > > > IOW, To change /sys printing format is a bit risky change. frequently
    > > > compatibility breaking natually break code stability.
    > >
    > > Ah, the sysfs user/kernel API is what you are referring to here, right?
    > > If so, remember, any changes need to be documented in Documentation/API
    > > :)
    > > And as for distros using -stable for their releases, that's fine, they
    > > well know the risks/benefits for that and handle changes on their own.
    > Would it make sense to use my initial patch for -stable, which reverts
    > the ABI back to before the change that caused the problem, but apply
    > the correct fix (changing the ABI throughout) for future releases?

    I do not know, as I really don't know what the issue is here.

    I trust that you, and the others, can come up with a fix for mainline
    properly, and if it applies to the stable tree, feel free to forward it
    to for submission then.

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-05-12 10:09    [W:0.019 / U:14.880 seconds]