SubjectRe: Driver for a SmartCard interface on a SoC
> > I'd say drivers/char if its a generic char device, but if its MX25
> > specific code entirely then drivers/platform or arch/.../platform.
>
> This driver covers a SmartCard core built into this kind of CPU. Its
> not like an interrupt controller which is specific to the CPU. Its a
> component like the USB and LCD controller, also built into this CPU.
> Maybe other CPUs will follow that are also using this SmartCard core
> (I don't know, only the manufacture knows).

The question is really about the interface as seen from userspace - is
that generic or could it be generic so you could write other card
drivers for different hardware to the same user space interface ?

> > The other question is one of API - it's going to best if the API
> > isn't MX25 specific but could reasonably be expected to work with
> > other future devices. A fake tty interface is probably overkill for
> > that but it would be good to get general review of any API.
>
> "faky tty"?

Some systems have before now implemented onchip smart card interfaces
with drivers that pretend to be a serial port talking a serial link to
the smartcard.

Alan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans