    SubjectRe: Ugly rmap NULL ptr deref oopsie on hibernate (was Linux 2.6.34-rc3)
    On 04/06/2010 08:10 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > That said, the code that _really_ confuses me is the stuff that uses
    > "anon_vma_clone()". Could you please also explain the code flow of
    > vma_adjust() to mere mortals, please?

    That's easier said than done. I spent 3 days with pen and paper,
    going over that code before I made the anon_vma changes, first
    verifying that the code is indeed correct and then figuring out
    how I could make the anon_vma changes safely.

    I am not happy with the complexity of the code around vma_adjust,
    but could not find a way to simplify it and still keep merging
    VMAs the way we do.

    My largest change to vma_adjust was moving some code closer to
    the beginning of the function, so I could bail out if the
    allocation failed, without making change to the vma...

    > I suspect Borislav is sleeping. But at least we have a patch for him to
    > test when he wakes up ;)

    I am looking forward to the test results.

      Last update: 2010-04-07 03:23    [W:0.018 / U:0.288 seconds]