Subjectmprotect pgprot handling weirdness
Hi folks !

While looking at untangling a bit some of the mess with vm_flags and
pgprot (*), I notices a few things I can't quite explain... they may ..
or may not be bugs, but I though it was worth mentioning:

- In mprotect_fixup() :

/*
* vm_flags and vm_page_prot are protected by the mmap_sem
* held in write mode.
*/
vma->vm_flags = newflags;
vma->vm_page_prot = pgprot_modify(vma->vm_page_prot,
vm_get_page_prot(newflags));

if (vma_wants_writenotify(vma)) {
vma->vm_page_prot = vm_get_page_prot(newflags & ~VM_SHARED);
dirty_accountable = 1;
}

So as you can see above, we take great care (using pgprot_modify) to avoid
blasting away some PAT related flags on x86 (no other arch implements
pgprot_modify() today).... but if we hit vma_wants_writenotify(), then
we unconditionally override the entire vma->vm_page_prot field with some
new prot bits born of the new vm_flags. That sounds odd...

- in sys_mprotect:

newflags = vm_flags | (vma->vm_flags & ~(VM_READ | VM_WRITE | VM_EXEC));

Do I read correctly that this means we cannot -remove- any flag than
VM_READ, VM_WRITE or VM_EXEC ? That means that we cannot remove PROT_SAO
which gets turned into VM_SAO on powerpc ... Yet another reason to take
those arch specific mapping attributes out of the vm_flags.

(*) Right now it's near impossible to add arch specific PROT_* bits to
mmap/mprotect for fancy things like cachability attributes, or other
nifty things like reverse-endian mappings that we have on some embedded
platforms, I'm investigating ways to better separate vm_page_prot from
vm_flags so some PROT_* bits can go straight to the former without
having to be mirrored in some way in the later.

Cheers,
Ben.

  Last update: 2010-04-06 07:11    [W:0.051 / U:0.056 seconds]