SubjectRe: Trying to measure performance with splice/vmsplice ....
Hi Rick,

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 10:02 -0700, Rick Sherm wrote:
> Q3) When using splice, even though the destination file is opened in O_DIRECT mode, the data gets cached. I verified it using vmstat.
>
> r b swpd free buff cache
> 1 0 0 9358820 116576 2100904
>
> ./splice_to_splice
>
> r b swpd free buff cache
> 2 0 0 7228908 116576 4198164
>
> I see the same caching issue even if I vmsplice buffers(simple malloc'd iov) to a pipe and then splice the pipe to a file. The speed is still an issue with vmsplice too.

One thing is that O_DIRECT is a hint; not all filesystems bypass the
cache. I'm pretty sure ext2 does, and I know fat doesn't.

Another variable is whether (and how) your filesystem implements the
splice_write file operation. The generic one (pipe_to_file) in
fs/splice.c copies data to pagecache. The default one goes out to
vfs_write() and might stand more of a chance of honoring O_DIRECT.

> Q4) Also, using splice, you can only transfer 64K worth of data(PIPE_BUFFERS*PAGE_SIZE) at a time,correct?.But using stock read/write, I can go upto 1MB buffer. After that I don't see any gain. But still the reduction in system/cpu time is significant.

I'm not a splicing expert but I did spend some time recently trying to
improve FTP reception by splicing from a TCP socket to a file. I found
that while splicing avoids copying packets to userland, that gain is
more than offset by a large increase in calls into the storage stack.
It's especially bad with TCP sockets because a typical packet has, say,
1460 bytes of data. Since splicing works on PIPE_BUFFERS pages at a
time, and packet pages are only about 35% utilized, each cycle to
userland I could only move 23 KiB of data at most. Some similar effect
may be in play in your case.

ftrace may be of some help in finding the bottleneck...

Regards,
Steven J. Magnani "I claim this network for MARS!
www.digidescorp.com Earthling, return my space modulator!"

#include <standard.disclaimer>

  Last update: 2010-04-21 20:19    [W:0.045 / U:0.652 seconds]