SubjectRe: Low-Level and Long-Term Battery Control
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
>> For Laptops, it is better to extract the battery from the Laptop when
>> the computer will be on power for a long period.
>> I ask if the kernel can do such control without the user intention and
>> in an automatic way.
>>
>> Some BIOS provide to the user to select whether to block the battery
>> charging to 50% to make it stand for more time.
>
> Where have you seen that?

I do recall that some older ThinkPads had a utility that would let you
determine what "empty" and "full" was by setting artificial limits.
It's well known that by keeping batteries from being fully
charged/discharged can significantly extend it's useful life although
you will suffer from shorter run-times. How sensitive a battery is to
this depends on it's exact chemistry, but all are affected by this to
some degree.

For example, by keeping your battery from charging above 85% and below
15% can increase the number of charge/discharge cycles a large amount
often on the order of 5-10 times more charge/discharge cycles - much
more than the 30% reduction in total capacity. Limiting to 25-75%
will help even more.

-Dave

  Last update: 2010-04-16 01:45    [W:0.063 / U:0.056 seconds]