    SubjectRe: USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems
    On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:21:05PM +0100, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
    > On 14 April 2010 17:36, Daniel Mack <daniel@caiaq.de> wrote:
    > > No worries - I agree. But unfortunately, I'm out of ideas now, and my
    > > initial thoughts about what might cause the trouble were abviously not
    > > able to explain the issue. Does anyone see further steps of tracking
    > > this issue down?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > Well if this is a dirty / dangerous hack, what about your first patch?
    > I've been testing it for days and has given me no problems.

    [For those who haven't followed all the discussions - this patch used
    usb_buffer_alloc() instead of kmalloc() in the audio USB driver]

    No, Alan is right. As long as we don't know what's going on, it
    shouldn't be fixed that way.

    There might be an update to all USB drivers to use a special allocation
    function in order to avoid DMA bounce buffers for non-64-bit aware host
    controllers, but that's certainly a second step. First, the bug that you
    see needs attention, and the longer you can reproduce it, the better :)

    Daniel

      Last update: 2010-04-15 09:37    [W:4.524 / U:0.008 seconds]