    SubjectRe: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing
    > Has the reason for this been identified? Judging from the nature of metadata
    > loads, it would seem that it should be substantially easier to implement
    > fsync() efficiently.

    By design a copy on write tree fs would need to flush a whole
    tree hierarchy on a sync. btrfs avoids this by using a special
    log for fsync, but that causes more overhead if you have that
    log on the same disk. So IO subsystem will do more work.

    It's a bit like JBD data journaling.

    However it should not have the stalls inherent in ext3's journaling.

    -- -- Speaking for myself only.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-04-11 19:23    [W:0.019 / U:138.092 seconds]