    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
    Date
    On Monday 08 March 2010 04:48:35 Tejun Heo wrote:
    > Unfortunately, while Windows can assume that newer releases won't
    > share the hard drive with older releases including Windows XP, Linux
    > distros can't do that. There will be many installations where a
    > modern Linux distros share a hard drive with older releases of
    > Windows. At this point, I can't see a silver bullet solution.
    >
    > Partitioners maybe should only align partitions which will be used by
    > Linux and default to the traditional layout for others while allowing
    > explicit override. I think Windows XP wouldn't have problem with
    > differently aligned partitions as long as it doesn't actually use them
    > but haven't tested it.

    Any idea if XP can cope with partition tables that use a 32-sector, 128-head
    geometry rather than the default 63-sector, 255-head one? That seems to
    be what some flash memory cards are using and it would make any cylinder
    aligned partition also 4096-byte aligned, at the cost of moving the
    1024-cylinder boundary from 7.88 GiB to 2 GiB.

    Do we know of anything that requires 63s/255h?

    Arnd

      Last update: 2010-03-10 00:49    [W:0.020 / U:0.112 seconds]