    SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
    On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Martin K. Petersen
    <> wrote:
    > Tejun> The [Windows Vista/7] partitioner seems to be using 1M as the
    > Tejun> basic alignment unit and offsetting from there if explicitly
    > Tejun> requested by the drive
    > Yep.
    > Tejun> Please note that hdparm is misreporting the alignment offset.  It
    > Tejun> should be reporting 512 instead of 256 for offset-by-one drives.
    > Already fixed.  Your hdparm must be old.
    > Tejun> Partitioners maybe should only align partitions which will be
    > Tejun> used by Linux and default to the traditional layout for others
    > Tejun> while allowing explicit override.
    > I don't think we take the partition type into account.  Karel?
    > Tejun> Reportedly, commonly used partitioners aren't ready to handle
    > Tejun> drives larger than 2 TiB in any configuration and alignment isn't
    > Tejun> done properly for drives with 4 KiB physical sectors.  4 KiB
    > Tejun> logical sector support is broken in both the kernel
    > Huh, what?  My homedir is on a 4KiB LBS/PBS drive and has been for ~2
    > years.
    > Tejun> (need more details and probably a whole section on partitioner
    > Tejun> behaviors)
    > I'm Cc:'ing Karel Zak and Jim Meyering who have been doing all the
    > alignment work for fdisk and parted respectively.  Karel, Jim: The full
    > writeup is here:
    > It'd be great if you guys could share what you have been doing to the
    > tooling.

    I've been keeping track of all the pieces in play, have coordinated
    with kzak and jim, and have a summary that offers some amount of macro
    detail (at the end I touch on parted and fdisk):

      Last update: 2010-03-08 20:37    [W:0.028 / U:20.576 seconds]