SubjectRe: Problems with remote-wakeup settings
Date
On Saturday 06 March 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > > It's not difficult in theory to tie together the WoL setting and the
> > > wakeup flag:
> > >
> > > If ethtool changes the WoL setting, the driver's ioctl handler
> > > should make the corresponding change to the wakeup flag.
> > >
> > > If ethtool queries the WoL setting, the ioctl handler should
> > > check the wakeup flag. If the flag is off, it should report
> > > that WoL is disabled; if the flag is on, it should report that
> > > WoL is enabled. (The same check should be made in the suspend
> > > routine.)
> >
> > That's done this way already in all drivers I know, but we need a hook
> > from wake_store() back to the driver.
>
> What for? wake_store() can't be called during a sleep transition
> (because tasks are frozen) or while the system is asleep. And if it is
> called at any other time, the driver doesn't need to know until either
> its ioctl handler or its suspend method runs.

Right.

That means, though, that the network adapter drivers' "get WoL" routines
should check should_wakeup too. They don't do that right now, but IMO it's
reasonable to request that they be modified.

Adding netdev to the Cc list.

Rafael

  Last update: 2010-03-06 22:25    [W:0.045 / U:1.684 seconds]