    SubjectRe: Making Xorg easier to test (was Re: [git pull] drm request 3)
    On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:53:46 -0800 (PST)
    Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
    > >
    > > Whereas everytime I wanted to do that with Xorg it was such a pain that
    > > I want to keep away from that mess.
    > Actually, take it from me: Xorg is _pleasant_ to test these days.
    > Ok, so that's partly compared to the mess it _used_ to be, but it's really
    > night and day. The whole build system was so incredibly baroque and heavy
    > that you really had to understand it deeply if you wanted to do anything
    > fancy.
    > And the non-fancy alternative was to just build the whole thing, which
    > took _hours_ even on fast machines because the build system overhead was
    > near-infinite (I dunno, maybe parallel builds could be made to work, but
    > it took more brain-power than I could ever put into it).
    > These days, there's a few dependencies you need to know about (I do agree
    > that from a user perspective the thing might have been made a bit _too_
    > modular) but they are generally fairly trivial, and there are scripts to
    > download all the drivers and misc utilities needed.

    Just FYI for those following this thread; testing the server and 3D
    drivers really isn't too much trouble these days, you can even install
    everything into a separate path (I usually choose /opt-gfx-test); you
    just need to build libdrm, mesa, xserver and your video driver (along
    with an input driver or tw) in that order. Then just startx
    -- /opt/gfx-test/bin/Xorg and put something reasonable in .xinitrc.

    Full instructions at

      Last update: 2010-03-05 17:29    [W:0.023 / U:15.584 seconds]