    SubjectRe: Making Xorg easier to test (was Re: [git pull] drm request 3)
    Hi,

    On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:53:46AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > These days, there's a few dependencies you need to know about (I do agree
    > that from a user perspective the thing might have been made a bit _too_
    > modular)

    Indeed, no argument here.

    > That said, the _one_ thing I really wish could be done would be to make it
    > easier to install things side-by-side - and with the modularization, you
    > really do want to do it module-by-module. One of the things that makes it
    > so easy to test the kernel is that when you install one kernel, that
    > doesn't affect the others, and you can go back-and-forth in testing.
    > That's really important, because it makes testing trivial and non-scary
    > even in the presense of issues that makes the new version unusable.

    FWIW, Option "ModulePath" in xorg.conf lets you more or less do this;
    the usual approach is to install your new server + drivers into a
    separate prefix.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

      Last update: 2010-03-05 17:15    [W:4.284 / U:0.308 seconds]