    SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3
    On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:32:02 -0500
    Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:

    > On 03/04/2010 02:04 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > > "Please note that these drivers are under heavy development, may or may
    > > not work, and may contain userspace interfaces that most likely will be
    > > changed in the near future."
    >
    > Shipping it as the default Fedora driver for NVIDIA hardware makes that
    > text largely irrelevant.

    Why ? Fedora isn't special, Fedora is just a distribution that uses the
    Linux kernel. If Fedora turns on staging drivers then Fedora has to
    accept that stuff breaks and manage that expectation with its users.
    Staging is not and has not been API stable. If staging is going to be API
    stable then it it useless and may as well be deleted.

    In this case Linus is just a random Fedora user having a distro problem.
    I don't even see what it has to do with linux-kernel. The libdrm problem
    and difficulty using Fedora libdrm with current upstream kernel is a
    Fedora problem not a kernel problem.

    The kernel staging tree is unstable for API. Whether thats the Nouveau
    guys breaking Fedora, submissions to network drivers breaking/removing
    bogus APIs in stuff being cleaned up - whatever then thats how the cookie
    crumbles. DRM has just made it all horribly more visible because the
    libdrm/kernel stuff has such a complex and closely tied interface.

    Serious discussion point perhaps should be: is the libdrm so close to the
    kernel it ought to be in the same git tree ? Alternatively does it need
    to be easier to have multiple Nouveau libdrms autoselected according to
    the kernel side versioning. ELF library versioning is not rocket science
    and both the old and new libraries exist and can be installed so all the
    bits are present except for the wrapper to load the right sublibrary yes ?

    Alan

      Last update: 2010-03-05 13:21    [W:0.025 / U:64.980 seconds]