    SubjectRe: Linux kernel - Libata bad block error handling to user mode program
    Yes, this log file was because of the read verification program. I
    will send a fresh log file of write failure once I am back at work. I
    did not verify the log before sending.

    On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Robert Hancock <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:11 PM, s ponnusa <> wrote:
    >>> There's nothing in libata which will cause the operation to eventually
    >>> return success if the drive keeps failing it (at least there definitely
    >>> should not be and I very much doubt there is). My guess is that somehow what
    >>> you think should be happening is not what the drive is actually doing (maybe
    >>> one of the retries you're seeing is actually succeeding in writing to the
    >>> disk, or at least the drive reports it was).
    >>> You haven't posted any of the actual kernel output you're seeing, so it's
    >>> difficult to say exactly what's going on. However, attempting to scan for
    >>> disk errors using writes seems like a flawed strategy. As several people
    >>> have mentioned, drives can't necessarily detect errors on a write.
    >> The scenario involves lots of bad drives with the known bad sectors
    >> locations. Take MHDD for example, it sends an ATA write command to one
    >> of the bad sectors, the drive returns failure / timeout, it tries
    >> again, the drive still says failure / timeout, program comes out and
    >> says failure. If we are not checking the errors during write process,
    >> and continue to reallocate the sector or retry the write again, what
    >> happens after all the available sectors are remapped? I still could
    >> not visualise it for some reasons.
    >> Consider this scenario:
    >> My write program says write passed. But when I used another
    >> verification program (replica of the erasure program but does only
    >> read / verify) it is unable to read the data and returns failure. No
    >> other program (for example a Windows based hex editor or DOS based
    >> disk editor) is able to read the information from that particular
    >> sector. So, obviously the data written by linux is corrupted and
    >> cannot be read back by any other means. And the program which wrote
    >> the data is unaware of the error that has happened at the lower level.
    >> But the error log clearly has the issue caught but is trying to handle
    >> differently.
    >> I've attached a part of sample dmesg log which was logged during the
    >> grinding of bad sector operation and eventually the write passed.
    > [ 7671.006928] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
    > [ 7671.006936] ata1.00: BMDMA stat 0x25
    > [ 7671.006943] ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:a8:56:75/00:00:00:00:00/e5 tag 0
    > dma 4096 in
    > [ 7671.006945]          res 51/40:04:ac:56:75/10:02:05:00:00/e5 Emask
    > 0x9 (media error)
    > [ 7671.006949] ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
    > [ 7671.006951] ata1.00: error: { UNC }
    > [ 7671.028606] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
    > [ 7671.028617] ata1: EH complete
    > Command C8 is a read that's failing. It looks like almost all of the
    > failures in that log are from failed reads, I don't see any failed
    > writes. From what I can see it sounds like the drive is apparently
    > writing successfully but is unable to read the data back (the reads
    > being due to read-modify-write operations being done or for some other
> [...]

      Last update: 2010-03-05 03:21    [W:0.026 / U:8.912 seconds]