SubjectRe: [git pull] drm request 3

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 11:14 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > If you'd made it clear that you wanted the interface to be stable
> > > before it got merged, I suspect that it simply wouldn't have been merged
> > > until the interface was stable.
> >
> > What kind of excuse is that? It's "we did bad things, but if we didn't do
> > those bad things, we'd have done _other_ bad things"?
> >
> > Two wrong choices don't make a right.
>
> So unmerge it.

That's what I told people I can do (I'd just revert that commit).

I can do that. But it's not very productive, is it? What about the people
who _do_ want to run the rawhide tree?

Seriously - what's wrong with my suggestion to just version things
properly? What's wrong with _fixing_ a stupid technical problem? What's
wrong with people that you can't see that there are actual _solutions_ to
the f*cking mess that is the current situation?

I can solve it for my own use, and I already stated so. But while kernel
developers should be scratching their own itches, a kernel developer that
can't see past his own small sandbox is pretty damn worthless. We do need
to fix this - and I'm bringing it up and complaining about it, because the
nouveau people have _not_ done anything remotely sane.

The current situation causes problems for people. Anybody who disputes
that is in denial. Can somebody come up with a _better_ solution than the
one I suggested? Feel free to do so, but in the meantime, I have to say
that your reply and that of Matthew and others have been totally
pointless, and making excuses rather than trying to actually face the fact
that there is a problem.

So man up, guys. Face the problem, rather than say "well, it's staging",
or "well, we can revert it". Neither of those really solve anything in the
short run _or_ the long run.

Linus

  Last update: 2010-03-05 00:07    [W:0.238 / U:0.152 seconds]