SubjectRe: USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency
On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 23:29 +0000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 17:05 +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>
> > The viable solutions so far:
> >
> > 1. Implement a PIO mapping API similar to the DMA API which takes
> > care of the D-cache flushing. This means that PIO drivers would
> > need to be modified to use an API like pio_kmap()/pio_kunmap()
> > before writing to a page cache page.
> > 2. Invert the meaning of PG_arch_1 to denote a clean page. This
> > means that by default newly allocated page cache pages are
> > considered dirty and even if there isn't a call to
> > flush_dcache_page(), update_mmu_cache() would flush the D-cache.
> > This is the PowerPC approach.
[...]
> > Option 2 above looks pretty appealing to me since it can be done in the
> > ARM code exclusively. I've done some tests and it indeed solves the
> > cache coherency with a rootfs on a USB stick. As Russell suggested, it
> > can be optimised to mark a page as clean when the DMA API is involved to
> > avoid duplicate flushing.
>
> That wouldn't solve the need for invalidating the I-cache... Unless we
> use another bit.

Indeed. We currently always invalidate the I-cache when the page is
mapped. With PG_arch_2, we could optimise this but I'm not sure it is
worth since I think we only get an update_mmu_cache() call for a page
(unless it is unmapped and re-mapped again).

--
Catalin

  Last update: 2010-03-03 11:43    [W:0.178 / U:0.020 seconds]