    SubjectRe: [GIT, RFC] Killing the Big Kernel Lock
    On Wednesday 24 March 2010 22:53:07 Roland Dreier wrote:
    > Interesting work. For the drivers/infiniband part, it seems maybe all
    > these drivers should be using no_llseek instead of default_llseek? (or
    > is it better style to use nonseekable_open()?) Certainly as far as I
    > can tell, nothing in drivers/infiniband pays any attention to f_pos.

    no_llseek makes it clear that you don't want the default_llseek semantics,
    while nonseekable_open also prevents pread/pwrite. Ideally, I'd just
    use both.

    There is a small chance that a random user space application actually tries
    to seek on the device (e.g. SEEK_END) and expects a zero return value,
    so when in doubt, I converted everything to default_llseek instead of
    no_llseek, just so I can be sure I don't change the semantics.

    > Also, is there a reason why you add "#include <linux/smp_lock.h>" to all
    > the files where you also do ".llseek = default_llseek"?

    The last patch in the series moves the default_llseek and default_ioctl
    function into the same loadable module that contains the BKL itself.
    Moving the declarations into the respective header seemed appropriate,
    but it could also stay in a VFS header if people prefer that.

    > In any case I can at least take care of the llseek stuff for 2.6.35.

    Ok, thanks!

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-24 23:03    [W:0.019 / U:45.288 seconds]